Small Damaged or Defective Lithium Battery Kit
DOT Final Rule HM-224F incorporated a number of significant changes to the regulatory requirements for shipping lithium batteries and cells. One such change impacted the transportation of Damaged, Defective or Recalled Lithium Batteries. Let HAZPlus help you comply with these new regulations. HAZPlus now offers compliant, easy to use packaging solutions for Damaged, Defective, and Recalled Lithium batteries that meet the packaging requirements outlined in 49 CFR 173.185(f). HAZPlus has solutions in stock and ready to use, that meet these requirements.
The Small Damaged or Defective Lithium Battery Kit was designed with compliance and convenience in mind. This kit comes complete with all packaging material required to make a compliant shipment, including detailed easy to follow assembly and use instructions. Don’t risk a non-compliant and potentially unsafe shipment of a damaged or defective lithium battery; let HAZPlus provide the compliant packaging solution.
If stock packaging is not an option for your particular batteries; HAZPlus specializes in custom packaging solutions for Lithium Batteries. With our On-Site UN Test Lab and team of Hazardous Material Packaging specialists, HAZPlus can help you navigate the complex regulations to design, test and certify a compliant packaging solution tailored to fit your specific requirements.
- 30-1450HAZ-PRO Kit is shipped fully assembled and includes:
- (1) anti-stat bubble bag inner container
- (1) pre-portioned bag of vermiculite
- (1) 5.5L UN1A2 drum, Packing Group I
- (1) Overpack shipping box
- (2) sets of required labels
- (1) pre-cut strip of box closure tape
- (1) detailed set of assembly and use instructions.
- In Stock and Ready to use for maximum convenience
- Custom Battery Packaging Options Also Available.
- Click Here for More Information on Lithium Ion Battery Packaging
Why You May Need This Packaging
- On August 6, 2014, DOT published a new lithium battery rule (HM-224F).
- Mandatory compliance for this rule is February 6, 2015
- HM-224F incorporated several new provisions into the HMR and modified many others.
- One of the modified provisions outlined the requirements for the shipment of Prototype or Low Production lithium ion and lithium metal cells or batteries.
- Our 30-1450HAZ-PRO was specifically designed, tested, and certified to meet the packaging requirements outlined in this new damaged or defective lithium battery provision.
- Certified for 4 kg gross package weight.
49 CFR §173.185 Lithium cells and batteries
(f) Damaged, defective, or recalled cells or batteries.
Lithium cells or batteries, that have been damaged or identified by the manufacturer as being defective for safety reasons, that have the potential of producing a dangerous evolution of heat, fire, or short circuit (e.g. those being returned to the manufacturer for safety reasons) may be transported by highway, rail or vessel only, and must be packaged as follows:
- Each cell or battery must be placed in individual, non-metallic inner packaging that completely encloses the cell or battery;
- The inner packaging must be surrounded by cushioning material that is non-combustible, non-conductive, and absorbent; and
- Each inner packaging must be individually placed in one of the following packagings meeting the requirements of part 178, subparts L and M, of this subchapter at the Packing Group I level:
- Metal (4A, 4B, 4N), wooden (4C1, 4C2, 4D, 4F), or solid plastic (4H2) box;
- Metal (1A2, 1B2, 1N2), plywood (1D), or plastic (1H2) drum; and
- The outer package must be marked with an indication that the package contains a “Damaged/defective lithium ion battery” and/or “Damaged/defective lithium metal battery” as appropriate.