“Providing exceptional packaging solutions through our passion for service, extensive technical expertise and unrelenting problem solving, while continuously earning the long term trust and loyalty of our stakeholders.”
Real People, Real Passion, Real Performance
Our Core Values
C.L. Smith is moving forward with sustainability.
In addition to our overall mission of “Providing exceptional packaging solutions through our passion for service, extensive technical expertise and unrelenting problem solving, to continuously earn the long term trust and loyalty of our customers,” C.L. Smith and its employees strive to provide packaging solutions in the most sustainable nature possible with equal passion as responsible corporate citizens.
We approach our sustainability strategy by working with suppliers and customers to deliver packaging with superior performance. Through material selection and effective package design we maintain a culture of sustainability as engaged corporate citizens. Environmental resources are valuable, therefore it is our shared goal to do More With Less.
With responsibilities to our stakeholders and our collective environment, we expect that our shared value for all efforts will be sustainable and beneficial for future generations through continual improvement. Our commitment to sustainability has been validated by EcoVadis with a silver award in our initial assessment as a corporate social responsible company. We are proud to be in the top 30% of companies rated worldwide by the EcoVadis sustainability methodology.
The three key elements of our Sustainability Strategy are as follows:
C.L. Smith team members are driven by our core values. We understand and demonstrate the importance of providing excellence in every “people” interaction and the need for flexibility in our relationships with our stakeholders. Everyone and every job is important – we are C.L. Smith; Real People, Real Passion, Real Performance.
The world is changing and so is C.L. Smith. With the ever changing technological advancements and public awareness, sustainable packaging demands and needs are increasing on a daily basis. We understand that People are the future.
- Employees – Our continued growth is based upon a team effort with a diverse group of people. We are responsible to our employees for their commitment and the overall effort put into their work. Our employee development program encourages each employee to learn new skills and assists their development in preparation for future roles. We offer an award winning Health & Wellness program and a comprehensive benefit package. It is our goal to assist in every way possible to develop and build passion for work and success in a clean, safe, healthy, and harassment free environment.
- Customers – Our business is molded to fit the needs and demands of our customers; their challenges become ours. Sustainability awareness by end users has impacted the marketplace as well as the global environment. With this in mind, we continue to strive to ensure that our customers know that our employees and suppliers are committed to the importance of performing duties in the most sustainable way possible.
- Suppliers – We understand that we are only as strong as our supply chain. It is important to us that our suppliers understand and are in compliance with our sustainability strategy. Because of this, it is imperative that we communicate openly with our supply chain network regarding Corporate Social Responsibility.
C.L. Smith is constantly taking into account environmental considerations throughout our entire business model to do our part in preserving our planet. We focus on manufacturing, packaging, procurement, and logistical delivery systems to ensure we maintain a culture of responsible sustainability. We have taken strides to minimize our environmental impact by:
- Reducing our overall Carbon Footprint – We are committed to doing More With Less. We accomplish this through reducing the amount of energy we consume and diminishing the amount of waste we produce. Our team members works to apply best utility practices to reduce the amount of total energy we use.
- Reducing Emissions – When considering impact to the planet our generated emissions are controllable and measurable factors we strive to minimize. Particulate, noise, and greenhouse gases are the key emissions we focus on reducing. Our goal is to reduce our total emissions generated year after year to better preserve our natural eco-system.
- Utilizing established Recycling Programs throughout our facilities – We recycle materials such as paper, plastic, and electronic products. C.L. Smith is also committed to reusing industrial regrind in our bottle manufacturing process. C.L. Smith and our stakeholders strive to reduce the amount of recyclable materials that ultimately end up in the waste stream.
- Improving our Corporate Social Responsibility – CSR is a vital component for succeeding in today’s business world and sustainability is an integral part of how we conduct business at C.L. Smith. Our team aims to continuously advance our sustainability metrics through making sustainable purchasing decisions, providing awareness programs, conducting sustainability assessments, supporting our local community and encouraging continual employee engagement.
At C.L. Smith we aim to do More With Less. We partner with companies across many industries to design customer-specific sustainable packaging systems that can be easily adapted for their products and satisfy a variety of environmental objectives. Regardless of industry, there are multiple ways to increase environmental stewardship without sacrificing quality or performance. As a bottle manufacturer, UN certifier and container distributor, we are uniquely positioned to understand the entire packaging lifecycle.
For Packaging this means:
- Less packaging by Design and Innovation – We strive to reduce the number of required components in our packaging through innovative design systems, like our integrated partitioning system and a wide variety of inner container combinations.
- Less waste through Source Reduction – Our goal is to reduce plastic by manufacturing bottles with less raw materials and to reduce paper by manufacturing with alternative and higher recycled content fibreboard grades, while still exceeding performance criteria across the board. • Less cost through Reusable Packaging and Containers – We are committed to increasing value through designing reusable secondary corrugated packaging, offering re-shipper options, manufacturing and providing re-fillable/re-usable containers and choosing returnable bulk packaging.
- Less environmental impact through Logistical Knowledge – An initiative to reduce our carbon footprint through Final Mile strategic warehouse locations and servicing our customers via logistically favorable supplier locations.
Need More Information?
Please contact one of our Packaging Specialist experts for help with all of your Performance, Regulatory, or any other needs related to custom or stock packaging!
(800) 264-1202 | office phone number
Email Us | through our online form