Product Information – Large Prototype Battery Packaging
Large Prototype or Low Production
DOT Final Rule HM-224F incorporated a number of significant changes to the regulatory requirements for Large Prototype Battery Packaging. One such change impacted the transportation of Prototype and Low Production Lithium Batteries. Let HAZPlus help you comply with these new regulations. HAZPlus now offers compliant, easy to use packaging solutions for Prototype and Low Production Lithium batteries. The CFR 49 defines a Prototype lithium battery as one that has not been proven to meet the criteria in Part III, subsection 38.3 of the UN manual of Tests and Criteria. Lithium batteries that have not been tested to this standard require the packaging outlined in 49 CFR 173.185(e). HAZPlus has solutions in stock and ready to use, that meet these requirements. The large prototype lithium battery kit comes with everything you need to ship your prototype lithium batteries in compliance. Complete detailed assembly and use instructions make this packaging very convenient and user friendly.
- 08-8400BAT-PRO Kit is shipped fully assembled and includes:
- (1) anti-stat LDPE liner bag primary packaging
- (1) Double-Wall Fiberboard box, intermediate packaging
- (1) pre-portioned bag of vermiculite
- (1) 5GL5GL UN1A2 drum, Packing Group I
- (1) Overpack shipping box
- (2) sets of required labels
- (1) pre-cut strip of box closure tape
- (1) detailed set of assembly and use instructions.
- In Stock and Ready to use for maximum convenience
- Custom Battery Packaging Options Also Available.
- Click Here for More Information on Lithium Ion Battery Packaging
Why You May Need This Packaging
- On August 6, 2014, DOT published a new lithium battery rule (HM-224F).
- Mandatory compliance for this rule is February 6, 2015
- HM-224F incorporated several new provisions into the HMR and modified many others.
- One of the modified provisions outlined the requirements for the shipment of Prototype or Low Production lithium ion and lithium metal cells or batteries.
- Our 08-8400BAT-PRO was specifically designed, tested, and certified to meet the packaging requirements outlined in this new prototype and low production lithium battery provision.
- Certified for 9.3 kg gross package weight.
49 CFR §173.185 Lithium cells and batteries
(e) Low production runs and prototypes.
Low production runs (i.e., annual production runs consisting of not more than 100 lithium cells or batteries), or prototype lithium cells or batteries transported for purposes of testing, are excepted from the testing and record keeping requirements of paragraph (a) of this section provided:
- Except as provided in paragraph (e)(3) of this section, each cell or battery is individually packed in a non-metallic inner packaging, inside an outer packaging, and is surrounded by cushioning material that is non-combustible and non-conductive;
- The inner packages containing lithium cells or batteries are packed in one of the following packagings that meet the requirements of part 178, Subparts L and M at Packing Group I level.
- Metal (4A, 4B, 4N), wooden (4C1, 4C2, 4D, 4F), or solid plastic (4H2) box;
- Metal (1A2, 1B2, 1N2), plywood (1D), or plastic (1H2) drum.
- Lithium batteries that weigh 12 kg (26.5 pounds) or more and have a strong, impact-resistant outer casing or assemblies of such batteries, may be packed in strong outer packagings, in protective enclosures (for example, in fully enclosed or wooden slatted crates), or on pallets or other handling devices, instead of packages meeting the UN performance packaging requirements in paragraphs (b)(3)(ii) and (b)(4) of this section. The battery or battery assembly must be secured to prevent inadvertent movement, and the terminals may not support the weight of other superimposed elements;
- Irrespective of the limit specified in column (9B) of the §172.101 Hazardous Materials Table, the battery or battery assembly prepared for transport in accordance with this paragraph may have a mass exceeding 35 kg gross weight when transported by cargo aircraft; and
- Batteries or battery assemblies packaged in accordance with this paragraph are not permitted for transportation by passenger-carrying aircraft, and may be transported by cargo aircraft only if approved by the Associate Administrator prior to transportation.
Need More Information?
Please contact one of our Packaging Specialist experts for help with all of your Performance, Regulatory, or any other needs related to custom or stock packaging!
(800) 264-1202 | office phone number
Email Us | through our online form
Packaging Alternatives for a Cleaner Environment (PACE)
Discover ways to achieve more environmentally friendly packaging.