Child-resistant packaging is regulated by the Code of Federal Regulations in Title 16, Part 1700 as part of the Poison Prevention Packaging Act (PPPA). The purpose of this act is to protect young children (under 5) from poisonings and deaths due to open containers of hazardous products.
A package that is child-resistant should be difficult for children under 5 to open or obtain a harmful amount of the contents within a reasonable time. It should not be difficult for the average adult to open and use properly.
In order for a package to be considered child-resistant, it must be tested with children. A total of 80% tested must not be able to open the package within 10 minutes of testing. Similarly, when the packaging is tested by adults, 90% have up to 5 minutes to open and close the package so that it is child-resistant again.
What products require child-resistant packaging?
The commission of the PPPA sets rules that require child resistant packaging for specific products used in or around the house such as:
- The products present a risk of serious injury or illness to children under 5 who are able to open the packages of products and drink, eat, or handle the contents.
- The technology exists or can be developed to produce child-resistant packaging for products, that the packaging can be used with modern mass production and assembly techniques, and that the packaging will adequately protect the integrity of the product and not interfere with the product’s intended storage or use.
Child-Resistant Required Packaging of Household Products
- Chemical & Cosmetic Products
- Mouthwash Products
- Drugs & Dietary Supplements
- Liquid Nicotine Containers
Exceptions to the Rules
A manufacturer can package one size of a regulated product (non-prescription) in regular packaging that is not child-resistant. The label of the packaging must include “This package for households without young children” or in smaller packages “Package not child resistant.”
Learn more about packaging options for child-resistant required products from our packaging consultants.